Psychiatry

Yesterday I spent 6-7 hours studying without interruption. I'm currently studying for my psychiatry exam. This is the first subject that interests me. (Imagine: I've already taken the pains of studying medicine for more than five years, and now finally a subject has come that interests me! What should this be called? Masochistic personality disorder, perhaps? ;-))

In addition to the standard textbooks, I've borrowed yet another book focusing on personality disorders only. Since I know a lot of people with peculiar traits, I can relate to this subject well and therefore it's especially interesting for me.

Let's see if I've already memorized the 9 diagnostic criteria of schizoid personality disorder:

1. enjoys only a few activities

2. emotional coldness, flat affect

3. inability to display warmth and anger

4. no apparent reaction to criticism or praise

5. little interest in sex

6. loner

7. prefers dealing with his/her phantasy world

8. lack of social contacts

9. problems following social rules

Well, I had to look up 5, 8, 9, but the rest I already knew by heart. Let's continue this way.

(If you happened to recognize some traits of schizoid personality disorder in yourself: If at least 3 of the above criteria match... then you have schizoid personality disorder! See a psychotherapist to get professional help.)

Another interesting thing I read in my textbooks yesterday is that transvestism, sadomasochism and fetishism often come along together. This is supposed to be the most widespread combination of sexual deviations. However, SM isn't considered a disorder any longer. It only needs medical treatment if the person is unable to get sexual gratification in another way.

For people who wants to become professional psychiatrists, there's an extra book of 1800 pages. Considering that you have 6 years of time to study it during your post-graduate training in psychiatry, that's not really much.

Kommentare

Beliebte Posts aus diesem Blog

The Demoscene

Digital Art Natives

Autobiographical Sketch